Sunday, February 28, 2010

Go


I often struggle with myself. With what I believe is right. With what I believe is wrong. Too many times, I find myself questioning others. Why would someone buy a new car when they have one that works? Why would someone give to The American Red Cross when so little goes to the people and most of the money is used for staff and administration? Why would someone go and give a homeless person $20 and not know what they may use that $20 for. Couldn't they go and buy ammunition for their gun or buy liquor with that money?

I find myself in a situation where I must check my own motives and perspective continuously. I had a friend give over $300 in random things to the poor on the streets in Knoxville. In my head I was thinking how far that money would have went in the Philippines. Or if he had given that money to an already established ministry to the poor/homeless in Knoxville how much greater of a good and impact they could have made with that money.

But then I started questioning myself. As I am sitting here in my chair after church, this individual is in his car going to spend time with the homeless and give them items that he believes may help them. As I am trying to inspire and encourage people to give money to sponsor kids and help the orphanage to rescue these kids from prostitution and dumpsites there are other people all over the world hurting and in need. Even my neighbor lives alone, with back problems.. and I can't remember the last time I walked across the street to help him or encourage him.

The Holston Conference that makes up hundreds of churches has a vision and passion during the Easter season up to Penecost SUnday to see up to 3,000 people baptized into the church. The method/approach that the Methodist church wants to utilize is need based ministry. Which is an awesome approach because we look at unmet needs in the area... and we become the church by going out in those areas in need and attempt to meet those needs while forming a relationship with those in need. To actually go out rather than expect people to come in.

I mean.. that is what Jesus did... he went. He walked hundreds if not thousands of miles, hanging out in bars, with lepers, with the rejected and told them that they are not unclean, that they are not rejected; that God created them all and that He will die (and in fact did) for all of humanity. Regardless of race, color or creed.

So, I say all of this to say, please pray for me. Kind of selfish I know, but I need it. I need to remember that none of this is about me and that all of this is about Christ and making His name known. To build up His kingdom. To remember that I have a neighbor, and that the rich struggle with depression and that the widow suffers with loss and that 18-20 year olds need support and love and that they are not "on their own" even if their parents no longer provide them a home. There is need all around us. There are chances to share Christ and His love with SO many. May we not become blind.

So, though I have encouraged (and I will continue to encourage :-D ) you to give to the orphanage. To sponsor our kids. To help the ministry of the orphanage prosper and meet the needs of more children....may we not lose sight of our neighbors. We must first answer the question "who is our neighbor"...and when you answer that question for yourself; may you have the faith to step out and Go. The great commission in the last chapter of Matthew is to "Go into all the world" and make disciples.

I am very thankful that so many of us continue to go... that God has not given up on us and continues to call us... may we put aside our concerns over money, appearances, what other's think (esp. a snoot like me that sometimes thinks they have it figured out) and Go. And Go how you have been called to go. It is SO okay to love on others and show Christ in a way that no one else has ever done. I have a great friend who is a hair stylist. He went on a mission trip and taught a skill to the homeless and the poor. He taught them how to cut hair. And now instead of begging or going without food, they now have a skill...they know how to cut hair .. and since my friend spent a few days teaching this skill; these people are being filled. So, God can use your skills, He can use your talents...the question is are you willing to go?

Peace, Dustin

No comments: