Monday, June 28, 2010

An update from The Philippines

Jonathan, Michelle and Pam have not had access to the internet in a few weeks.  Thank you for your patience with updates.  Below are bits of info Michelle placed on her blog today.

"The kids are such a blessing. Little Katherine was sad the other night because she misses her family. Being the youngest, it is probably harder for her to adjust than it is for the older ones. Mrs. Pam went with her to her room as she cried. Then when she came back downstairs, I gave her a big hug and told her it would be okay. I held her for a minute and told her I loved her. I could see the tears welling up in her eyes as I spoke. Has she ever been told that someone loves her? I then just held her for a few minutes. Mrs. Pam and I (and I’m sure Jonathan as well) believe she needs lots of love and attention, and she may not be getting that right now. So I will be sure to spend more quality time with her."
"I also upset little John Lloyd that same night. Earlier that day, he brought a huge bug inside the orphanage and showed it to me. I of course screamed, "Dili!" (No!) and told him to take it back outside! I was joking when I said it (I mean, I really did want him to take it outside, but I did not mean to be rude to him). A while later, as several of the kids and I were laughing inside, I saw his little head through the window of the front door. I told him to come inside, but he just bent down and hid. When I went outside to see what was the matter, Jeraluz said he was upset that he had scared me with the bug. He shrank down low on the ground, and as Jeraluz was telling me what was wrong, he ran into a dark corner outside the orphanage and hid. I felt awful! My little, precious John Lloyd was upset that he had scared me! I wish I could go back in time and change my reaction to the bug; I just felt absolutely awful!"
"The kids love Frisbee, especially John Lloyd. We brought two Frisbees with us, and John Lloyd is always asking us to play with him. He also loves to take pictures and for someone to take a picture of him. He has two main poses. One is him smiling and putting two fingers around his face, a common pose in the Philippines. The other main one is him standing as straight as he can, hands by his side, looking as serious as he can. He’s so precious!"
"As for future plans, Saturday we plan to do a feeding at the dumpsites. We think we may give out pre-packed bags of school supplies and snacks, as well as a Cebuano Bible to each family. Please be in prayer for us as we do that. We will also be looking for 2 more kids to live at the orphanage. Arnell has expressed that it is our decision to choose those 2 kids! That's pretty crazy, so please pray that the Spirit leads us in that decision. We also plan to visit the Camodes Islands Thursday, so that should be an adventure! Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we seek the Father's guidance on what His will is for us here. It seems to be a day-by-day thing! But we have had many wonderful opportunities to love on the kids at the orphanage, and Glenn and John Michael have so many questions for Jonathan about the Bible! Please keep him in your prayers, that the Spirit may fill and guide him as he teaches the oldest kids in the orphanage. The younger kids look up to the oldest boy, which is Glenn, so it is wonderful and a super God-thing that he is seeking to lead them in the right direction! He knows that the kids look up to him, and he has expressed that he wants to teach and lead them in the best way possible, which is why he is seeking knowledge about the Bible. It is very encouraging to see his desire."

Thank you for keeping up to date on Wesley Home, the children and the missionaries.  I will do my best to update you as much as possible.

Thankful, Sheryl

No comments: