Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fatherly Love

A few days ago I posted about my husband and son and the love of the father.  A special friend commented that sometimes she thinks more of the fear of the Lord and was glad to be reminded of His tenderness.  Her comment and this scripture got me to thinking.....


For those of us who have strained or non-existent relationships with our earthly fathers, considering a relationship with the Heavenly father can be confusing, scary even.  I struggled with this until I had children of my own.  I just couldn't understand God's love.  I grew up with thoughts of a condemning God with lots of rules and I better not step out of line or "God's Gonna Cut You Down."  This scripture from Proverbs (below) is one of many that is comfort to my heart.  While our God is just, He is full of mercy, grace and love.


Proverbs 16:
3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do,
and he will establish your plans.
4 The LORD works out everything to its proper end—
even the wicked for a day of disaster.
5 The LORD detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.
6 Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the LORD evil is avoided.
7 When the LORD takes pleasure in anyone’s way,
he causes their enemies to make peace with them.
8 Better a little with righteousness
than much gain with injustice.
9 In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the LORD establishes their steps.

Thankful, Sheryl

No comments: