Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Worth

What on this Earth makes you worthy of anything?

How do you measure what you are worth?  How do you find value in yourself?
Cars.
Family.
Relationships.
Job.
Home.
Education.

When I was young, my parents made me feel like a worthy son when I did well at school and went to church. But I struggled with my faith and belief because I wondered if I believed what I said I believed just to please my parents and feel that worth.

As far back to Adam and Eve the human race has been trying to restore our worth and value. 

Over the years, I have learned to find my worth in God… and put my hope in God.  I think that I have been able to make that transition and grow spiritually where I understand and accept. Where I fully embrace the fact that there is nothing good in me. But God fills me up with his Spirit. His grace and mercy have offered me an abundant life.

But then I start to think how I treat others and how I communicate to others about what I value.  Because I want my kids to do well in school, I want them to go to church, I want them to have manners.  I want my employees to work hard, be ethical and turn their work in on time.  But as I reward, as I praise, as I incentivize positive behavior...I am afraid I am communicating that this is their value and worth. Which would be the wrong thing to communicate.

Something I struggle with is saying.. you should do your school work as if you are doing it for God…because He has given us our minds and ability to learn. And by doing well in school and giving God credit for His goodness it is an act of praise. But rarely do I communicate it in this way.    

Colossians 3:22-24
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

I hardly ever say, stop hitting and arguing with your brother/sister… honor your family members because they are a gift from God. It almost sounds hokey… and awkward to say something like that.  But it is the truth. And to communicate otherwise, is to miscommunicate to friends, children, co-workers that you value something about them that is outside of God.

And there is nothing good in any of us apart from God.

When I see myself through God’s lens I truly know that God thought of me to lay His life down so that I may have eternal life through Him.

And man does that give me a sense of worth.

Peace, Dustin

No comments: