Monday, May 17, 2010

Sacrifice

I have mentioned to you before about committments, sacrifice, giving.....but when I turn that toward myself....that's when it gets hard and real.  Although I believe in sacrificing and probably do it in some aspect everyday, true sacrifice is oh so difficult and for me, can't be done without Christ. 

For the past several months a mission team and I have been preparing plans, fundraisers and dreams for our summer mission to the Philippines.  We began this journey with 3 separate teams of about 40 people to accomplish 3 separate goals.  Those 3 teams turned into 2, then one.  

Meanwhile....the World Cup is being planned in South Africa and an oil spill has occured in the gulf.  Thus airfare has become ridiculous.  Now our summer mission which started with 3 teams has become only 3 people,  one of which is NOT me.  It would be easier to spend the money and just go, but that would not be what God has planned.  He doesn't want the money to be wasted on airfare when it can be invested in the children and the orphanage and the many needs there.

I am heartbroken, but I trust that His thoughts are not my thoughts, His ways are higher than our ways.  I want to go to those children and hold them and connect with them and know them and teach them and listen to them and LOVE them and show them my Jesus lives in my heart and can in theirs as well.  But it is not God's plan for me to go.  I must love them and pray for them from here.

But on the other hand I think....wow, my "sacrifice" is just not going, seriously?  I have never had to face the decision of giving up one child in order to feed the others like so many mothers in the Philippines.  I have never had to leave my family and go to the front lines of war to fight for freedoms to pray in public places or go to the church I choose....Am I really even sacrificing anything???



Pray as we discern God's will about some of the team members going in September when flights are cheaper.  And pray as I lean closer to God and learn His purpose for my summer.

Thankful, Sheryl

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Sheryl,
You are such an amazing woman. I just know that the Lord is looking down on you with a big smile. He is so pleased that you are listening to Him and letting Him guide your feet instead of your own desires. Maybe this sacrifice right now means something even greater in the future. He can see the future and he knows exactly how he wants to use you. You are so courageous and strong for trusting Him the way you are. I love you so much.

Sheryl said...

Amanda, thanks for your kind words. It's great to know you are out there and are reading the blog!

I give all praise to God for His working in my heart and life. Love you too. I hope to see you VERY soon!