Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Name it

I am currently reading a book by Ann Voskamp entitled "One Thousand Gifts".  I am getting to the part of the book where she is "naming" gifts.  Although I'm only on the fourth chapter, it is somewhat of a challenge to "name" 1000 blessings, things we are thankful for....sometimes we think we are grateful people but to truly call out things, activities, etc. seems to give them value.  The small things, the big things, ANY thing you are thankful to have been given.


Here is an exerpt:


"...All  I can see, think, is that my whim writing of one thousand gratitudes, the naming of the moments - this is truly a holy work.
This naming really does call now a gift, a gift of God.  I read again: 'To name a thing is to manifest the meaning and value God gave it.'  I look at a day, a thing, an event in front of me, and it may look manna-strange: 'What is it?'  But when I name it, the naming of it manifests its meaning: to know it comes from God.  This is gift!  Naming is to know a thing's function in the cosmos - to name is to solve mystery.
In naming that which is right before me, that which I'd otherwise miss, the invisible becomes visible."

"I name.  And I know the face I face.
God's!  god is in the details; God is in the moment.  God is in all the blurs by in a life - even hurts in a life.
GOD!
How can I not name?  Naming these moments may change the ugly names I call myself.
I put a pen to a journal, to name solve....."

It's odd for me to think that something so simple like calling something out, giving it value by giving it a name could be so beneficial for our souls.  But consider if we are constantly naming things as gifts then won't we be more positive, more joyful even?  If in our conversations we are basking in our gifts as we share with others, isn't this God's way?  Drawing people to Him by our joy?  We don't need to wait on November to be thankful....every moment we can look before us and not miss an opportunity to pen down what we are given.

I'll start.

1.  Baby goats hopping around in the field
2.  Fresh breeze
3.  A quiet moment alone
4.  A surprise visit
5.  Friendly smiles in the hallway at school

Just regular everyday things....name them and see if they go up in value.

Thankful, Sheryl

No comments: