Monday, August 29, 2011

Body of Christ

In our home we do lots of hosting simply to have time to chat and fellowship with other families and to do ministry planning.  Some would believe this means that our home is a home fit for entertaining with clean floors and streak free mirrors.  Ahem....well although I do attempt to have a home that fits this description it typically doesn't happen. 

So last week as I am preparing dinner for a family, I asked my son to put the vacuum cleaner away.  As I'm hurrying around the house to get some of the clutter cleaned up I walk into my pitch dark bedroom and my foot finds the spot that my son chose to put the vacuum cleaner.  My big toe was in ridiculous pain but I had to go on.  So with help from my daughter I pulled myself together and finished dinner.

The next morning my toe was turning all shades of blue and purple and I was limping like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.  I just kept thinking to myself how silly it was!  It was my TOE for Pete's sake!  A simple toe.

But then God brought to mind the body of Christ.  If such a small part of my body was affecting me so greatly, how important are all parts of the body of Christ?

Romans 12:3-8
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

It's easy to consider ourselves unimportant to have an excuse to be lazy, to stop serving.  But if we allow Satan to convince us that our area of service goes unnoticed not only are we neglecting the rest of the body, we are also missing out on our opportunity to use our gifts and further the kingdom of God.

Thankful, Sheryl

No comments: