Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Looking Back (post 2)

Upon arrival in the Philippines, I was caught up in everything around me.  I had heard many stories from my husband about the people, culture, sights, sounds, smells....and I wanted to experience it ALL!

But I quickly got a sense of what life was like in the Philippines.  And unfortunately I got to see many heart-breaking things and smell many putrid odors.  It was more than I bargained for to be honest.  And it was the same for the others. 

But what truly lit us afire was the fact that the shelter my husband had helped open 9 years earlier was no longer a shelter but only a school.

We collectively agreed that SOMETHING had to be done about the children in the trash dump, the children sleeping on the streets completely alone, the children begging outside the McDonald's for just a bite to eat.  Something....but what.  We were just 12 white people with very little money to offer.  But...thankfully we have a very big, very loving God who just asked for us to have a little faith.


In a matter of only a few days, a conversation with the Vice-Mayor of the city and some resources of a local businessman God was clearly revealing His great plan.


While 11 of us were back home, Dustin stayed behind and secured the building that is currently Wesley Home for Youth.

Only 2 months later, in August 2009 God breathed life into The Rescue Ministries and the next trip to the Philippines was already in the planning stages.


To be continued.....

Sheryl

No comments: