Monday, March 28, 2011

Forgiveness

Recently our church has been studying the book of Genesis.  We have covered everything from second chances to marriage to integrity.  Yesterday we finished up the book with a sermon on forgiveness.

While we can sometimes be extremely grudging and unforgiving people we have a forgiving God.  Synonyms listed for forgiveness include charity, mercy, grace.  A portion of scripture that stood out to me was Genesis 50:18-21.
His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. “We are your slaves,” they said. But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.

I especially got hung up on "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."  What a precious thing.  God intended it for good.  I have some horrible memories in my mind's file.  Some of what has been done to me, some of what I have done to others.  Things that, even just the thought, make me blush and cringe.

....but God intended it for good.

Even as I type them, those words grow more incredible and promising to me.  Even all my failures, people who have failed me, moments of weakness, moments of fear, times of crumbled spirit.  God has a way of using every situation in our lives, whether positive or negative.

....but God intended it for good.

How AMAZING? 

I want to forgive, I am praying for that spirit today - a spirit of forgiveness.  Because if God intended it for good, why would I keep a grudge against anyone, anything, even myself?

....but God intended it for good.



Thankful, Sheryl

No comments: