Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Prayer

I grew up having weird distorted thoughts of prayer. I was taught about prayer closets; if you didn't have one you better get one....that didn't make sense in my very literal mind.  Who would want to go into a dark closet and pray to a very scary God in proper words?  That seemed overwhelming and intimidating to me.  But at a very low time in my life I cried out to God in my own words, my own way and my own space. 

He heard me. 

It wasn't perfect, I wasn't proper and He wasn't scary. 

Although my prayer life didn't grow overnight or even quickly I have come to have a different kind of prayer relationship with God.  It is a closer relationship now and I feel like I can call on Him whenever, wherever and often.  I pray all day long most days.  When something or someone comes to my mind I often just whisper a prayer for that person, ask forgiveness, ask God for strength, thank God for something in front of me, etc.

1 Chronicles 16:10-11

Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice. Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.


I have learned this is His desire.  He wants this close relationship, He wants us to call on Him and depend on Him for everything.

Even the small stuff. 

This morning, pushing time to get out the door, I couldn't find my glasses.  Which are kinda necessary considering I can't see to drive without them.  In the midst of the frustration, I took a breath and simply asked God to help me....  A very insignificant moment in my day, but yet I needed God's grace to help me not pitch a 2 year old sized tantrum out of frustration!  I probably could have found my glasses on my own, but just knowing that He cares about the littlest of little things, the minute, the simple.

Jeremiah 29:12 
Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.


A song I love is Times by Tenth Avenue North....here is a portion of it.

"i hear you say 'my love is over,
its underneath, its inside, its in between
the times you doubt me, when you can't feel
the times that you've questioned 'is this for real?'
the times you've broken, the times that you mend
the times you hate me and the times that you bend'..."


No matter where you are, God will meet you there.  Call on Him!  He doesn't care if you use perfect grammar or proper words.  He loves you!

Thankful, Sheryl

No comments: