Monday, April 4, 2011

Radical

I am currently reading "Radical" by David Platt.  I am only starting chapter 2 because it took me a good few weeks to get through chapter 1.  Not because I read that slow, but because the first day I picked it up...it scared me. 

I laid it down for a couple of weeks, then started from the beginning again.  I want to make sure I am actually ready to make a change this significant.  I am the type of reader who likes to let things marinate a while.  I have to be ready to accept chapter 1 before I can move on to chapter 2.  Is that weird?

Being a Christian is wonderful, but it is serious business to truly lay down my life and follow Christ.  AND it's not necessarily easy when you have put God in a box and made Him the God you are comfortable with Him being.  The Christ you grow up and grow older thinking He is until one day you run across this book that is incredibly eye opening!  Are we serving our version of Jesus?  Or the actual Jesus Christ who wants us to give it all up-- LITERALLY!??

I hope you will marinate with me....I will chat about this more in the coming days, weeks, months.  However long it takes me to actually GET IT!

Thankful, Sheryl





FTC Disclaimer: This book was received free of charge from Waterbrook Multnomah through the Blogging for Books program.

3 comments:

gracefilledlife said...

Ok, you're the 3rd person I know who is reading that book. Now, I want to read it. My brother-in-law sarcastically says it should just be call "Biblical" instead of Radical. He says it just seems radical because our culture has fallen so far away from the Word.

Anonymous said...

I've read it twice, once on my own and then took a couple of guys through it with me. It really is a challenging read. Look forward to you wrestling with what Platt writes. Our church will be working through this book in the Fall in our home groups. -David Petro (PS. Hey Colleen!)

Amanda said...

I read part of it once before I put it down and walked away. I had a hard time with some of the things he said...I need to do some research on some of his claims. I wasn't crazy about it. Maybe i'll be ready for another try soon.