Monday, July 26, 2010

Living in Fear

My nearly 11 year old daughter is afraid of heights.  Genuinely afraid.  She has convinced herself (along with negative nay-sayers) that she can't get on an airplane because of this fear.  When you consider that we are planning to move our family to The Philippines, this could be a problem.

Recently I have been talking with her about living in fear.  I want her to know God in a way that she trusts Him even in her greatest fear.  We can be encouraged through God's word.

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 34:4
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Psalm 46:1-3
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.

Do you live in fear of something?  Failure, what someone will think of you, rejection?  Some people may be afraid to even voice their fears because they believe others may not take them seriously or think their fears are silly and small.  Most of us have genuine fears, but when we arrange our lives around these fears could we miss a blessing?

Isaiah 41:9-11, 13
I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, 'You are my servant'; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish. For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
 
I pray that today this will find you joyful, peaceful and not fearful.  God gives scripture to guide us through this scary, confusing world.  Claim it!
 
The response for "Project Pillowcase" so far is awesome!  Keep your ideas and excitement coming.  If you have any ideas for boys that would be super!
 
 
 
 
Thankful, Sheryl

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. It's so easy to let fear consume us and sometimes, we don't even realize that it has! Fear can cause us to miss out on the greatest God-given adventures we'll ever know. Your words are inspiring and truthful. I think it's awesome that you're teaching this to Madi. I pray that she embraces it and trusts her Jesus.